Generation 2 (G2) Modules Preserve Form/Fit/Function of Existing Modules to Retain Customers’ Investment, While Increasing Capabilities and Reducing Cost
KFAR SABA, Israel — (BUSINESS WIRE) — September 23, 2014 — Connect One™, the Device Networking Authority™, has launched its next-generation (G2) WiFi modules to support the latest 802.11b/g/n wireless standards for the Internet of Things (IoT) market. With the rapid advances in IoT infrastructure, many applications such as medical, security, industrial control, smart grid, asset management, and point of sale, need the fastest, more secure wireless standards for their communications. G2 incorporates these latest standards at up to 40 percent savings, while creating a no-change upgrade path for customers.
Improved WiReach Functionality
In addition to preserving form, fit, and function of existing modules, Connect One has enhanced and enriched the functionality available across the entire G2 line:
- Full 802.11b/g/n support (previously available only on Connect One MAX modules)
- Easy switching between WiFi Access Point and WiFi Client Operation modes
- Industrial temperature range of -30°C to +85°C
The G2 modules offer excellent system performance for IoT connectivity with Broadcom BCM43362 WiFi Transceiver SOC and its 802.11b/g/n MAC and baseband functionality. The G2 modules build on this foundation and Connect One’s iChip Internet Controller, providing multiple hardware interfaces, extensive firmware, and a full suite of secure Internet protocols for WiFi client mode and up to eight WiFi users in router or access-point modes. Designers gain immediate, full-featured connectivity without any WiFi driver development or porting, minimizing project development challenges and time to market.
Secured Remote Access and Management
The G2 modules can also serve as independent WiFi access points where WiFi infrastructure does not exist. Customers can use the modules to connect to and manage their deployed, in-field devices via standard WiFi devices, such as iPhones, iPads, Android phones, and other mobile phones and devices.
To ensure complete security, the G2 line offers highly advanced Internet-level security. The module includes WiFi encryption algorithms (WEP/WPA/WPA2), Internet SSL communication and encryption algorithms. In addition, it provides a secure separation between the embedded application and the network in order to protect the application from attacks originating from the Internet.
Cost-Effective Upgrade Path
To maximize customer investment, Connect One’s G2 WiFi modules offer a smooth upgrade path for the Nano WiReach and Nano Socket iWiFi modules. These G2 module upgrades require no hardware or software changes for applications using existing Connect One WiFi modules. As well, the application interface—Connect One’s rich and simple AT+i Application Programming Interface (API)—continues to be the same.
“We are proud of our new G2 WiFi modules and the value we are bringing to existing and new customers,” noted Erez Lev, General Manager for Connect One. “Existing customers can rest assured that their investment is in tact, and new customers can look forward to a full-featured, competitively priced WiFi module line.”
Multiple Modes of Operation
To maximize design-in flexibility, the G2 line builds on existing capabilities, offering firmware support for several modes of operation:
- Embedded Router—LAN or WiFi clients gain a single cellular WAN connection to the Internet (3G router) or routing between LAN and WiFi networks,
- Embedded Access Point—Devices containing WiFi can connect to the product’s embedded access point to control or manage processes,
- LAN to WiFi Bridge— Transparent bridging of LAN over WiFi enables direct RMII connection to existing MAC hardware. Any microcontroller with a built-in Ethernet MAC can be connected to WiFi with zero development effort,
- Serial to LAN/WiFi Bridge—Transparent bridging of serial data over LAN or WiFi is boosted by the module’s speedy 3-Mbps UART,
- Full Internet Controller mode—Simple microcontrollers can use the modules’ rich protocol and application capabilities to perform complex Internet operations, such as e-mail, FTP, SSL, embedded Web server and others. Internet controller mode can be used with any hardware interface, and
- PPP emulation—Existing (e.g., cellular modem) designs currently using PPP to interface to the cellular modem can connect transparently over WiFi with no changes to application or drivers.
The G2 modules include RMII, USB, SPI and fast UART interfaces for easy integration into existing or new designs. They are available with an antenna connector or a built-in antenna depending on the specific module chosen.
The G2 line continues to support 10 simultaneous TCP/UDP sockets; two listening TCP sockets; SMTP, MIME, POP3, FTP, Telnet, and HTTP/HTTPS clients; and an HTTP/HTTPS embedded Web server with a Web site for the host application and one for configuring the module. They support 64-/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2, AES-128/256, SHA-128/192/256, and 3DES encryption; and the SSL3/TLS1 protocol for a secure client socket session and a secure FTP session.
Availability and Evaluation Board
The G2 WiFi modules are available now. Visit www.connectone.com for more information.
About Connect One
Established in 1996, Connect One Ltd. is widely regarded as the device networking authority, with many innovative firsts to its credit. The company manufactures semiconductors, modules and device servers that facilitate secure, reliable, and robust Internet protocol-based communication for everyday devices. Connect One is privately owned, with offices in Kfar Saba, Israel.
Connect One, The Device Networking Authority, iChip, iChipSec, Internet Controller, AT+i, SerialNET, WiReach and Socket iWiFi are trademarks of Connect One Ltd. All other trademarks are property of their holder.
Word copy of release
You can tweet or share the release directly from the Connect One Press Center on HughesCom’s website. The release, graphics and background materials are also available for download.