More than 3,200 exhibitors debut life-changing tech across more than 2 million net square feet; Tech Titans from Intel and Audi deliver keynotes on CES
LAS VEGAS — (BUSINESS WIRE) — January 7, 2014 — The 2014 International CESÂ® opens today as a record breaking show with more than 3,200 exhibitors across the largest show floor in history â€“ more than two million net square feet of exhibit space â€“ breaking last yearâ€™s previously set record of 1.92 million net square feet. Innovation and the promise and power of technology drove this yearâ€™s preshow press events that kicked off with CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS on Sunday night with 99 tabletop displays where exhibitors provided a sneak preview of their show floor product launches. Twenty five exhibitors then revealed new products during CES Press Day on Monday. Owned and produced by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)Â®, the 2014 International CES opens today and runs through Friday, January 10.
â€śCES is the worldâ€™s gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies and features the largest showcase of innovation on the planet,â€ť said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO, CEA. â€śWe couldnâ€™t be more excited to open todayâ€™s record breaking show and see the magic, wonder and energy of consumer technology come to life as leaders from a broad array of industries come together to survey and transact.â€ť
New Intel CEO Brian Krzanich delivered a Tech Titans keynote address Monday evening to highlight innovation at the ingredient level. Krzanich explored how connected devices create immersive experiences that change the way we live, work and play. Over the course of his keynote, Krzanich demonstrated a half-dozen products that seamlessly connect devices and people to create â€śtechnology experiences,â€ť all of which will be available in 2014. New products include:
- Smart earbuds that when paired with an app on your smartphone monitor pace, location and even heart rate, using sensors built into the earbuds themselves.
- â€śJarvis,â€ť a hands-free headset that interacts with a smartphone.
- A new smart watch that unlike others in the category requires no tethering devices, has its own connectivity and includes smart geo fencing, to track a wearerâ€™s location.
Wearables are a key component of Intelâ€™s vision of the connected future. Throughout his address, Krzanich announced several partnerships with creative industries like fashion, animation and gaming. Together with Barneys, Opening Ceremony and the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Intel is working to promote wearable devices in fashion. Krzanich also announced that its latest chip, Edison, part of its Quark family of SoCs, will feature â€śa full Pentium class PC in the form factor of an SD card.â€ť This ultra-low power, 22nm Dual Core SoC can be used to power wearable devices. â€śWeâ€™re creating a network of devices, all smart, all coming together, all powered by Edison,â€ť he said.
Rupert Stadler, chairman of the board of management of AUDI AG, delivered a second Tech Titans keynote address Monday night to discuss the future of innovation in the automotive industry and its direct impact on the consumer technology market. Stadler envisions a future where cars drive themselves and where roads might one day guide vehicles. Helping to build that future is its partnership with Nvidia and its Tegra K1 as the processor of choice and AT&T to introduce in-car LTE in the U.S.
Audi introduced its highly anticipated Sport Quattro LaserlightV8 hybrid concept car. The vehicle can go 90 miles on a single gallon of gas and will be available in piloted driving mode. With laser headlights three times stronger than LEDs, it can light the road for nearly a third of a mile. Stadler emphasized the synchronization of Audi and the electronics industry debuting, â€śthe full spectrum of what it means to be a leader in innovation.â€ť
Pre CES media events kicked off Sunday night with CES Unveiled LAS VEGAS: The Official Press Event of CES. Ninety-nine exhibitor tabletops drew one of the largest media crowds in Unveiled history with companies such as 3M Touch Systems, Arrayent, Inc., Bell'O International, Chevrolet, DISH, Escort, Fitbug, Holi, Lenovo, LG, Liquid Image, Molami, Off-Grid Solutions, Orbotix, Parrot, Pure, Samsung, Sculpteo, Soundfreaq, Tobii Technology, Velodyne, Xdroid Inc. and Yurbuds.
Product announcements continued on Monday, January 6 with 2014 CES Press Day, featuring 25 exhibitor press conferences. Major product announcements included:
- LG â€“ LG G Flex â€“ curved OLED display with worldâ€™s first curved battery (6â€ť HD display; Lifeband Touch fitness activity monitor with OLED display and Bluetooth connectivity; LG Homechat with voice-messaging/texting option to appliances.
- Monster â€“ DNA WirelessPro Headphones â€“ wireless, noise cancelling with controls built in; GODJ â€“ Portable, standalone DJ device that fits in hand.
- Sharp â€“ Aquos HD TV lineup including new Aquos Q+ with 10 million more sub pixels, built in upscaling, audio and Bluetooth streaming (first on market to play UHD content); Smart Central â€“ App compiles all content into one search function.
- Huawei â€“ Ascend Mate2 4G Smartphoneâ€“ curved shape, 6.1 display, LTE Cat4 150mbps, Bluetooth 4.0, Quad core 1.6 Ghz processor, multi-screen tech, 4050mAh battery (two days performance), reverse charging to charge other devices, 6.1 enhanced HD (EHD), 5MP front camera and panoramic selfie.
- Tarsier â€“ MoveEye â€“ 3D glasses with stereo cameras that allow interaction with whatâ€™s on the screen, â€śdirect interaction.â€ť
- Livio Radio â€“ SmartDeviceLink to standardize a way to bring apps into the dashboard of all vehicles.
- DISH â€“ New additions to the Hopper lineup of whole-home DVR service, SuperJoey which when paired with the Hopper allows users to record up to eight shows at once and 2,000 hours of content; Wireless Joey streams content to any TV in the house.
- VOXX â€“ Myris â€“ Iris identifying authenticator for increased online security; 360Fly â€“ 360 degree self-contained waterproof mountable camera; Soundboard power Plus â€“ 5200mAH charging power plus wireless audio capabilities.
- Panasonic â€“ Toughpad FZ-M1 7 inch rugged tablet; 4K Ultra HDTV the new â€śLife+Screenâ€ť AX800 series with voice activation and face recognition technology and advanced personalization; 4K Varicam â€“ first waterproof 4K professional camera; Toughpad 4K tablet with 20-inch LCD display â€“ first to offer 4K resolution.
- Intel â€“ New brand RealSense â€“ revolves around a thin, embedded 3D-sensing camera that can be embedded in desktops, laptops, tablets, etc. RealSense 3D cameras will scan objects for 3D printing.
- TouchJet Pte. â€“ TouchJet â€“ A precise touch enabled pico projector with a built-in Android OS that transforms any empty wall into an interactive 80 inch tablet.
- Hisense â€“ VIDAA smart TV platform â€“ Android powered, lets users seamlessly toggle between live TV, on demand entertainment, recorded programming, personal content, apps and more with a single touch of a button.
- Formula E â€“ Revealed and demoed first electric racing car; Qualcomm will begin to integrate Snapdragon into the cars adding WiFi and Bluetooth.
- Samsung â€“ 105â€ť curved UHD TV â€“ worldâ€™s first and largest curved UHD, has 11 million pixels with auto depth enhancer giving a 3D effect without glasses; Bendable TV â€“ 85â€ť push button Ultra HD turns from flat panel to curved; New PRO tablet series 12.2â€ť with full size virtual keyboard.
- Toyota â€“ North American debut of Toyotaâ€™s fuel cell sedan concept with 300 mile driving range, zero-to-sixty in 10 seconds, no emissions and hydrogen tank refueling in 3-5 minutes.
- MakerBot â€“ Replicator 3D printer series including the Mini, Replicator and Z18 with 100 micron layer resolution, full color LCD displays, app and cloud enabling with onboard camera options for print monitoring and sharing.
- SKULPT â€“ SKULPT device calculates body composition via electrodes sensing the difference between muscle and fat â€“ provides exercise advice based on individual goals and progress.
- Sony â€“ First in-home video download 4K service from Sony Pictures Entertainment; 4K Handicam; Life Log smart wear experience; Xperia Z1 compact smartphone with 20 megapixels.