Amazon customers made The Man in the High Castle the most watched pilot ever
SEATTLE — (BUSINESS WIRE) — February 18, 2015 — (NASDAQ: AMZN)—An intriguing tale about alternative history, a twisted story of friendship put to the ultimate test, a docu-series based on America’s most award-winning magazine, a kids series based on magic and another about being stinky and dirty—all coming exclusively to Prime Instant Video. Amazon today announced it has greenlit five new Amazon Original Series, including The Man in the High Castle, which is based on the Philip K. Dick alternative history novel; an hour-long dark comedy Mad Dogs; docu-series The New Yorker Presents; along with kids shows Just Add Magic, and The Stinky & Dirty Show. The new Amazon Original Series come from an acclaimed creative roster including Frank Spotnitz (The X-Files), Ridley Scott (Blade Runner), Cris Cole (The Good Times Are Killing Me), Shawn Ryan (The Shield), Alex Gibney (The Armstrong Lie), Joe Nussbaum (George Lucas in Love, Awkward), and Kate & Jim McMullan (I’m Dirty!). These new shows will premiere exclusively to Prime members in the US, UK and Germany later this year and in 2016.
As part of its unique development process, Amazon gives customers an opportunity to provide feedback on which pilots they want turned into series that are then available to Prime members. During pilot season, any Amazon customer in the US, UK, and Germany can watch, rate and comment on the pilots. At the end of pilot season, that feedback helps determine the shows that become an Amazon Original Series. To date, customers have helped Amazon greenlight 13 series including the multi-Golden Globe-winning show Transparent, which will return for a second season later this year.
“During the latest pilot season, Amazon customers made The Man in the High Castle our most watched pilot ever,” said Roy Price, Vice President of Amazon Studios. “These new series, including our first docu-series, are some of our most ambitious to date and I’m looking forward to their premieres in the future.”
Amazon Original Series are available for Prime members to stream and enjoy through the Amazon Instant Video app for TVs, connected devices and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/originals, at no additional cost to their membership. Customers who are not already a Prime member can sign up for a free trial at www.amazon.com/prime.
Here’s what customers are saying:
- “Wow! Love the pilot, and couldn't ask for a better cast of friends to get wrapped up in trouble with.”
- “Definitely exceeded my expectations. The visuals were amazing! Can't wait to get to know the characters as the show progresses.”
- “Hooked us in within the first five minutes.”
- “As a big fan of Shawn Ryan's The Shield, I knew to trust this pilot blindly and just push play. I was rewarded.”
The Man in the High Castle:
- “Beautifully done all around; the story, special effects, acting, and production were top notch. I couldn't stop watching. I am desperate to see the next installment.”
- “Not only is this a beautiful and well done pilot, but it's super engaging and quite a great homage to the book.”
- “I love alternative history and this was well done, well-paced, well-acted and very compelling.”
- “The Man in the High Castle may very well be the single best thing I've ever seen or heard. It sits at first place on my list of best TV shows ever, and its audio track sits at second.”
The New Yorker Presents:
- “With all of the ridiculousness and nonsense on TV today, this show makes me feel as if I'm being linked to a real part of the world.”
- “Highly intelligent documentary shorts that are poignant and thought provoking. Looking forward to more!”
- “This is a moving series. Each section was thought-provoking and touched on complex issues that clearly need to be considered in the current world.”
- “I don't write many reviews on programs but I was so compelled to do so. You must see this outstanding journalistic presentation. The New Yorker Presents is wonderful.”