"Mobile devices are changing how we live and work, and they also pose significant challenges to IT departments who have to support their now mobile workforces while keeping corporate data managed and secure," said Ron Coughlin, senior vice president and general manager, Personal Systems, HP. "HP is the world's largest commercial computing provider to the world's largest companies. No other company is better suited to address commercial mobility than HP. Our devices feature built-in security, manageability and durability. When paired with our ISVs' robust solutions, HP has created an ecosystem that helps companies to powerfully and securely harness the promise of mobility."
Mobility not only changes where people work, but how they work. The current approach to business mobility is to retrofit consumer devices and attempt to make them enterprise-ready, or drive customer lock-in to a single platform or device.
HP is taking a modular approach featuring secure, purpose-built devices. By supporting multiple operating systems, HP is giving business customers a choice of application eco-systems and user experiences. When coupled with the new software offerings from HP and its partners, the company has created a complete mobility solution for all businesses -- including education, field service, healthcare, public safety and retail industries.
Purpose-built devices to mobilize the workforce
New tablets and 2-in-1devices running Microsoft Windows operating system, along with new tablets built on Google's Android operating system, all feature built-in security and can be tailored to meet specific use-case requirements with a focus on embracing business mobility. These new devices include:
- HP Pro Slate 8 and HP Pro Slate 12 are high-definition(1) (HD) commercial-grade Android tablets. Available in 8-inch or 12-inch diagonal displays respectively, the tablets are powered by a Qualcomm® Snapdragon 800 series processor(2), and support a 4:3 aspect ratio to easily view business documents and access business applications. Less than 8 mm thin, these lightweight tablets offer powerful computing and business-day battery life(3) with enterprise-grade security and manageability. Both devices are designed with business productivity in mind featuring a wide range of accessories enabled by HP's Zero Force connector. HP Pro Slate 8 is one of the first tablets to market using Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4, Corning's toughest cover glass to date.
- HP Duet Pen, the first to use Qualcomm Snapdragon digital pen technology(4) on both a tablet and regular paper, is included with the HP Pro Slate 8 and HP Pro Slate 12. The pen is part of the HP's Blended Reality Ecosystem, helping employees be more productive and create easily shareable content by writing and digitizing input from the device's screen or via a regular sheet of paper using the HP Paper Folio(5).
- HP Elite x2 1011 G1 is a lightweight, stylish, 11.6-inch diagonal 2-in-1 Windows device running Windows 8 Pro easily transforms from a tablet to a laptop with Ultrabook configurations available(6). Tested to military specs for durability(7), the Elite x2 adapts to personal work preferences with an ecosystem of optional accessories(8) that includes an industry-first WiGig enterprise wireless dock(9) based on a joint collaboration with Intel, along with a cover, a lightweight travel keyboard and an optional Wacom pen10.
- HP Pro Tablet 408 G1 is an affordable, 9 mm thin, 8-inch diagonal Intel® Atom®-based business tablet that provides a full Windows 8 Pro experience and the mobile accessories(11) to help keep users productive when away from their PC. With business-class features like micro-HDMI, up to 64 GB of storage(12) and an 8 MP rear camera with flash, the device gives IT the serviceability, security, manageability and commercial lifecycle it requires.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Healthcare Tablet is designed to improve caregiver productivity and enhance patient interaction. The durable and lightweight solution has an antimicrobial(13) treatment to protect the product, can be cleaned easily, and meets IP 54(14) specifications. Deployable in any clinical environment, the tablet helps reduce the risk of medical errors by using the 2D barcode reader to validate personnel, patients, and catalog and administrate medication.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet is an ideal solution both in and out of the office for mobile workers in manufacturing or in-field environments. IP 65(15) rated for water and dust and MIL-STD 810(16) testing, with up to 20 hours of battery life(17) and a 2D barcode reader to quickly access information.
- Built with the rigors of the school day in mind, the Intel Atom-based HP Pro Tablet 10 EE running Windows and the HP Pro Slate 10 EE Android tablet feature a durable design that passes IP-52(18) testing for dust and moisture, is built to withstand the rigors of an education environment, and includes an on-board garage for the optional stylus, plus a hard-wired keyboard base option(19) for more convenient and secure 1:1 learning.
- HP offers robust solutions to help schools manage their devices, including: HP Services for Schools(20), a combination of consulting, leadership development and teacher training to help schools use technology to improve student achievement; HP School Pack, a range of learning tools and IT resources, from eBooks and classroom management to security and onboard IT support; and HP Classroom Manager, an easy-to-use classroom management software that allows teachers to view and control student devices and encourages collaboration(21).
- The all new HP Retail Case for ElitePad offers retailers a versatile mobile and fixed POS solution for their employees, with two built-in cradle areas for mounting payment devices and the ability to dock to existing POS solutions. The new solution's design features hand and shoulder straps, giving retail store operators an easier and more comfortable way to access inventory and product availability, as well as improving the checkout experience.
- The HP Retail Case for ElitePad also allows retailers to physically attach a mobile payment device (PED or PIN entry device) of choice to the case from vendors like Ingenico, Verifone, AnywhereCommerce, and PayPal and accept a range of payments such as EMV, NFC, MSR, and most digital wallets.
Solutions focused on mobilizing industries
HP is collaborating with leading independent software vendors (ISVs) in healthcare, field service and public safety industries, including Cerner, Intergraph and SAP, along with system integrators and service providers to deliver complete business solutions focused on mobility.
- Cerner is working with HP on delivering purpose-built healthcare solutions and applications that will enable clinicians to further embrace mobility in the healthcare industry.
- Intergraph is announcing the release of its Windows 8.1 mobile application for public safety agencies. Intergraph Mobile Responder extends Intergraph's Computer Aided Dispatch solution to emergency responders in the field. Mobile Responder is optimized for devices such as HP's ElitePad 1000 G2 and the HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet as part of a joint partnership between HP, Intergraph and Microsoft.
- The SAP® Enterprise Asset Management (SAP EAM) solution is planned to be an integration centerpiece to help bring innovative workflow solutions to vertical customers and industries, extending the mobility service value chain for service and inventory management coupled with the HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet.
- HP Enterprise Services (ES) will also deliver an end-to-end mobility business solution. Within this collaboration, HP ES will take the newly announced devices and integrate them into the customer's network while adding mobility software, apps and security layers to simplify implementation and management.
Pricing and availability(22) These devices are available as a managed service or subscription, offering businesses flexibility and a new way to deploy mobility.
- HP Pro Slate 8 is available now with a starting price of $449.
- HP Pro Slate 12 is available now with a starting price of $569.
- HP Elite x2 1011 G1 is expected to be available in late January with a starting price of $899.
- HP Pro Tablet 408 G1 is available now with a starting price of $299.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Vertical Solutions, including:
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Healthcare Tablet is available now with a starting price of $1,499.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet is expected to be available in February with a starting price of $1,599.
- The HP Retail Case for ElitePad is available now with a starting price of $199.
- HP Pro Slate 10 EE is available now with a starting price of $279.
- HP Pro Tablet 10 EE is available now with a starting price of $299 for education customers and $349 for all customers.