Orlando, Florida, Dec 2, 2014 -- On behalf of the German Armed Forces, the Bundeswehr has significantly increased its investment in Virtual Battlespace 3 licenses as part of an agreement with Bohemia Interactive Simulations (BISim) and eurosimtec, the companies announced today.
With their extensive experience in modelling, simulation and training (MS&T), the Office of Simulation and Testing (Simulations- und Testumgebung der Bundeswehr SuTBw) has selected Virtual Battlespace 3 (VBS3). For more than 5 years the German military has used Virtual Battlespace in various capacities, including JFAC, JFST procedure training, UAV simulation for Army tactical UAVs and artillery training, squad & platoon infantry training particularly at Wildflecken, the German Army Battle Simulation Center.
"VBS3 provides a common training solution for all branches of German armed forces," said Dr. Mark Dzulko, Bohemia Interactive Simulations' Chief Technical Officer. "VBS3 offers a high degree of interoperability and gives Bundeswehr the opportunity to direct their own training and technology requirements in the broadest possible way. We look forward to working with the all services within the Bundeswehr."
eurosimtec CEO André Komp noted that, "VBS represents a key training enabler to increase the existing virtual simulation capability of Bundeswehr. The agreement also provides the Bundeswehr flexibility to further expand their use of VBS for training across the services."
VBS3 provides an immersive virtual environment that helps soldiers train on tactics, rehearse for missions, and practice standard operating procedures. With its after-action review tool, the software is designed to help soldiers learn to think, make decisions and improve communications before heading to the field for live exercises.
VBS3 is the most widely used virtual simulation software for military training in the world. VBS3 is used for tactical training and mission rehearsal on desktop computers as well as part-task trainers and full-mission simulators. More than 30 NATO entities, countries and partner nations use VBS as part of their virtual training including the U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps, UK Ministry of Defence, Australia Defence Force, Canadian Armed Forces, and New Zealand Defense Force.
In addition to doubling the number of VBS licenses currently held by the German Armed Forces, the agreement provides the German military with the following:
- TerraTools 5, a complete simulation environment development toolkit and uses cartographic source data to automatically and rapidly create high-fidelity terrain databases for visual, constructive, and serious game runtimes, from TerraSim, a BISim company.
- eurosimtec's VB-Edit product line, a rapid 3D scenery and object editing tool you can use with VBS, and C³I-TS, software that helps instructors manage complex scenarios.
- SimCentric Technologies' VBS2Fires and VBS2Strike for Call-for-Fire and Close Air Support mission training.
- Calytrix Technologies' CNR-Sim, for in-game communications for VBS3, and LVC Game, the HLA/DIS gateway for VBS3.
- Silvador, BISim's rapid tree generator software.
Carsten Barth, eurosimtec's Vice President of Business Development and Sales, added:
"We look forward to providing the Bundeswehr with customized support, training and German language localization."