Next-Gen Texture Compositing Tool Adds Node Processing and Transfer Baker, Procedural Art Improvements Usher in New Hub for PBR Pipelines
MARINA DEL REY, CA – February 12, 2015 – As physically based rendering (PBR) becomes more entrenched, the need for dedicated texturing tools becomes more crucial. Today, Allegorithmic releases Substance Designer 5 – the new iteration of its node-based texturing hub for the next generation of game artists.
Co-designed with some of the game industry’s top studios, Substance Designer 5 introduces new features dedicated to next-gen procedural art, as well as pipeline enhancements that ensure consistency for large-scale teams as they share and reuse assets. Non-linear and non-destructive, Substance Designer 5 is the most efficient way to create PBR materials for real-time 3D projects.
"With Substance Designer 5, highly demanded features aren’t the only things we are adding,” said Dr. Sébastien Deguy, Founder and CEO of Allegorithmic. “This release also marks the introduction of Substance Engine 2, a major upgrade to the core engine behind our ecosystem of products. With Substance Designer 5 and Substance Engine 2, the creative possibilities offered to texture artists are now endless! I am truly excited to see what our vibrant community produces with them."
Key New Features Include:
- Substance Engine 2.0 – New generation of Allegorithmic's core tech will push Substance Designer’s power of expression to new heights.
- Processor node – This true image processor allows you to read input images and apply any custom effect or treatment using visual programming.
- Transfer Baker – Transfer textures from one mesh to another without worrying about UV changes. Name matching between the high resolution and low-resolution meshes allow artists to bake every part of their object separately and merge the results in one click.
- Tri-planar projection – Any image can be applied to a mesh with no visible seams, helping to control the scale and rotation of the projection.
- Dependency Manager – Makes asset management and sharing of Substance files across artists and studios intuitive and painless.
- New Template System – Creates starting templates tailored to custom engines and pipelines.
Since the release of Substance Designer 4, Allegorithmic has become the leader in PBR texturing, growing at a fast pace as more and more AAA and indie studios add Substance to their pipelines. Allegorithmic’s recent PBR guides also outlined some of the ways PBR is approached by Substance Designer. Volume 1 and 2 can be downloaded here.
“We are committed to bringing the best PBR tools to game artists everywhere,” added Deguy. “It’s where the industry is headed, and hopefully we can be a positive part of that change.”
Substance Designer 5 is available for pre-order now for the Mac OSX and Windows platforms. It will be officially released on March 4, 2015 with prices that run $149 for an indie and $590 for a pro ($749 floating).
The indie version is for a pre-order discount of $99, down from $149 until March 4th. Indie upgrades can be purchased for $50 instead of $75 until release, with a new revenue limit set at $100,000 (up from $10,000).
Until release, pro upgrades can be purchased for $200 instead of $300. Interested artists can buy Substance Designer 5 on allegorithmic.com.
About Substance Designer
Substance Designer is a node-based texture compositing tool that allows you to create Substance files or bitmap textures. You can use it to texture assets and also bake model information (ex: normal, displacement, curvature etc.). It contains a wide library of tools, materials and procedural effects to help you achieve your goals in a fully non-destructive workflow.
Founded in 2003 and based in France, the US and China, Allegorithmic is the leader in 3D texturing technologies with more than 50,000 users including Sony, Microsoft, Activision, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, NCSoft, Tencent, Autodesk, NVIDIA and Intel. The company specializes in creating advanced authoring software and middleware that is designed to simplify the process of creating and distributing high-quality textures for next-generation content developers. The company’s flagship product range is Substance. For more information on Allegorithmic and its products, please visit www.allegorithmic.com.